My name is John Hooton. As an experienced photographer I have been photographing the Irish landscape for the past 30 years. I have concentrated mainly on Ireland's Wild Atlantic Way using mainly slide film but in 2009 I finally made the transition to digital. As a founding member of Mallow Camera Club I have held many positions within the club, and have also been a committee member of the Irish Photographic Federation Council. (I.P.F.) Presently I am one of the main adjudicators with the I.P.F. on their National Distinction Panel and have been a judge for numerous prestigious competitions.
In 2010 I was invited to join the PermaJet team of lecturers who travel the length and breadth of the UK and Ireland lecturing to camera clubs and photographic societies. PermaJet manufactures the widest range of high quality inkjet media in the UK. I am currently planning lectures for a tour of five clubs, Llandudno, Solihull, Evesham, Smethwick and Wrekin. In 2015 I have been invited to Bristol, Cambridge and Scotland to lecture and sit on judging panels.
From my base on the Dingle Peninsula I presently run photographic weekend courses. These workshops provide participants with the opportunity to improve their technical skills, professional tuition, creative motivation, eye-catching locations and time spent with like minded individuals.
I am a Fellow of both the Irish Photographic Federation and Royal Photographic Society and in 2010 was awarded an M.F.I.A.P. This is the highest award given by the International Federation of Photographic Art. My work has appeared extensively in salons throughout the world and I have also done a number of personal exhibitions both in Ireland and abroad.
I am married to Noreen and we have three children aged 23, 21 and 20. In 1982 I set up my own cabinet making company, Mallow Fitted Furniture Ltd, and have been self employed since then.
- Over a 20 year period winner of more that 30 I.P.F. gold medals together with many silver and bronze medals.
- Awarded Fellowship from I.P.F. in 1998
- Awarded E.F.I.A.P. in 1999
- Over 450 Acceptances to F.I.A.P. International Salons
- Winner of 1 F.I.A.P. Gold, 1 F.I.A.P. Silver and 2 F.I.A.P. Bronze medals together with 5 F.I.A.P. Ribbons.
- One of my images appeared in the the 50th Anniversary F.I.A.P. book and also on a recent calendar.
- In 2000 I was awarded a solo exhibition in Croatia as part of Trophy Town of Rovihj 2000 Rovigno prize for collection of 4 colour prints at the Croatian Grand Prix Mundial Fotofestival, in Croatia.
- Also have won numerous non F.I.A.P. awards from other Salons
- Awarded Fellowship from the Royal Photographic Society (R.P.S.) in 2003
- Winner of London Salon medal in 2000 and also a Photographic Society of America (P.S.A.) Gold medal.
- Photographic Alliance of Great Britain 2008 winner of Gold, Silver and Bronze medals.
- In 2001 and 2002 took part in a group exhibition at the Big E, Eastern States Exhibition, Springfield, Mass, U.S.A. highlighting Ireland and the beauty of the landscape.
- Winner of best print of exhibition in Lannion, Britanny for three years.
- In 1999 and 2001 winner of E.S.B. Environmental Photography awards in Ireland.
- Have lectured extensively to clubs throughout Ireland and have acted as a National Judge for competitions.
- 2008 Member of international judging panel at Tallaght International Salon.
- 2009 Organised and led landscape photography workshops in Dingle, Co. Kerry.
- 2010 Awarded M.F.I.A.P.